Wonder Fair for Final Fridays

Meredith Moore, owner and curator of the Wonder Fair shop and studio, opened her doors for Final Fridays this past weekend after months of relocating and renovating. The grand opening hasn't been scheduled yet.

This weekend, Final Fridays took over downtown hotspots, including a Lawrence hub for print supplies, art and everything to do with paper.

For Wonder Fair — described as the "print palace of the Great Plains" by owner Meredith Moore — September's Final Friday event was a way to introduce the public to a revamped shop and studio. The shop has been in Lawrence for seven years but just recently moved to another location on Massachusetts Street.

"While it was our first Final Friday in the new space and an important milestone for us, this Final Friday was only meant to be, and quietly promoted as, a soft opening interlude before our grand opening later this fall — and yet, it was definitely one of our most fun and friendly Final Friday events ever," said Moore, who is one of two Wonder Fair owners and the studio's curator. "We're waiting to have the grand opening when the art supply loft is open." 

She said the real difference during the week leading up to the event was everyday traffic. She said in the new location, they see five or six times as many people on weekdays compared with the former location.

"I think the space must have a special magic that makes it a good place to gather," Moore said. "We've always done well on Final Fridays, though, since 'Wonder Friends' tend to be the curious and adventurous type who are more likely than average to be willing to climb our stairs for art shows."

She said that as far as Final Fridays go, it's hard to say if they've had a substantially larger crowd.

"I think the big difference for me was that now we're more accessible to our friends who had trouble climbing the stairs, or who didn't enjoy the more hot/crowded atmosphere upstairs," she said. "It was good to see everyone enjoy Wonder Fair comfortably — it made my hostess heart happy."