MSG Meeting 1/30 2

Interim committee chair Constanza Castro and chief of staff Andrew Davis receive many different opinions on what should be put into the bylaws of the Multicultural Student Government, specifically about the impeachment process.

In its second emergency meeting of the week, the Multicultural Student Government Legislative Committee encouraged debate over the process of impeachment. The pulse of the room was calm as members shared ideas, and voted to specify the language of the articles of impeachment, to define procedures and to outline the responsibilities of its executives.

Last Thursday at the General Assembly meeting, members tabled the articles of impeachment in order to more closely define the word “intimidation,” which is listed as grounds for impeachment.

It was suggested by committee members that intimidation be defined as “a written or verbal threat made by one person to another.” The committee later voted to have the University Student Code of Conduct be the definer of all terms, including what constitutes a threat.

The committee also voted to include in the articles of impeachment that a majority vote of the General Assembly is necessary to pursue impeachment and a two-thirds vote is required to carry out removal. This system circumvents need for letter of grievances, as originally defined in the bylaw.

“By doing this, it allows the General Assembly the discretion to say ‘We don’t want this person to represent us,’” said Constanza Castro, interim legislative committee chair.

The articles of impeachment were passed by the committee and will be voted on in General Assembly on Thursday.

President Chiquita Jackson was present at the meeting Tuesday. During last Thursday’s General Assembly meeting, Vice President Anthonio Humphrey said that the articles of impeachment were being pushed specifically to remove Jackson from office, who had previously been asked to resign by the executive board. As the articles are now in control of the committee and the assembly, leadership does not have the authority to change the bylaws without the assembly's consent.

Jackson said the passage of the bylaws is important for the legacy of MSG, and not pertinent to the leadership's desire to impeach her. She said the language change to define intimidation would not give weight to allegations against made against her in the original notice for impeachment.

“It would be really impressive if they do find anything,” Jackson said. “But just moving on as far as now in protecting my brand, I do plan on taking further action against those people who made those allegations.”

Jackson said she could not yet disclose what action will be taken.

Chief of Staff Andrew Davis said he is happy that the articles are in the hands of the General Assembly.

“This is not a matter of what I necessarily wanted, but more a matter of what does the body think,” Davis said. “So I’m happy.”

The committee also voted to table the section concerning the responsibilities of executives as the meeting time came to a close, and the committee will further discuss the roles of leadership the next time it meets.