Analytics Boot Camp

Sharon Graham is the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Professional and Continuing Education at the University of Kansas Edwards Campus. The KU Data Analytics Boot Camp will be offered for non-credit at the Edwards Campus.

The University Professional and Continuing Education departmenthas announced the launch of a new Data Analytics Boot Camp. The bootcamp is a 24-week, non-degree program that covers data science and analytic skills.

“We aim to offer education that makes a big difference in students’ careers and serves local workforce needs,” said Sharon Graham, assistant vice chancellor of the Edwards Campus. “Data analytics education hits the bullseye.”

The University is partnering with Trilogy Education Services, a third-party provider for coding boot camp training.

“They provide curriculum and content, we review the curriculum and content and then we help brand and market and provide space and logistics and all that,” said Vice Chancellor David Cook. “So this is a true kind of education business partnership to provide a meaningful education for our students.”

The classes will be held in person at the Edwards Campus in Overland Park beginning on Nov. 28. According to the press release announcing the launch, the program is “designed to accommodate the schedules of working professionals,” with classes being held two evenings a week for three hours and Saturdays for four hours. Additionally, students will spend around 20 hours a week on outside projects in order to build their professional portfolios.

“KU Professional & Continuing Education met with numerous employers in the Kansas City area. We asked them what people and skills they need but have trouble finding. Technology and data related talent are one of the top needs of local businesses and other organizations,” Graham said.

Through the class, students will learn the latest data analytics skills, as well as skills such as resume editing, networking, and job searching. Students will also learn to use software such as Javascript, Python, SQL and Tableau.

“Graduates of the Data Analytics Boot Camp are qualified to be data analysts, data engineers, business analysts, research analysts, data journalists and more,” Graham said.

The boot camp has already seen interest from a range of individuals including high school graduates, current college students and those looking to switch careers, all of which “are interested in learning more about IT, getting into the IT workforce, but also who wanted to get involved with more kind of big data kind of initiatives,” Cook said.

The boot camp is open to anyone interested, but it is recommended that participants have a knowledge in basic coding skills. However, no previous training is required.

Those interested in participating in the Data Analytics Boot Camp can apply online at bootcamp.ku.edu/data or by calling (913) 956-0960.

— Edited by Abi Gleckler