Local & State Government

Douglas County added 46 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus since Wednesday, local health officials said Friday. The county now has 588 confirmed cases and two reported deaths, according to Lawrence-Douglas County Public Health. 

The Lawrence City Commission approved an ordinance that limits its cooperation with federal immigration enforcement officers. It also mandates the Lawrence Police Department make immediate public alert of activity by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Douglas County added 12 confirmed cases of the coronavirus Friday, according to Lawrence-Douglas County Public Health. There are now at least 494 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Douglas County.

Douglas County will remain in phase three of its reopening plan and bars will remain closed following an increase in confirmed cases of the coronavirus. Lawrence-Douglas County Public Health also confirmed an additional 34 cases of COVID-19 since Monday. 

The now-rescinded federal guidelines mandated international students enroll in at least one-credit hour of in-person classes at their respective universities to stay in the United States. Those guidelines were rescinded by the federal government Tuesday.

Listen to our podcast

Subscribe to our podcasts on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Anchor, or anywhere you get podcasts.

UDK in your inbox

Get Kansan stories sent to your email.

View previous campaigns.