rush week.jpg

Executive board members of Phi Iota Alpha, Jorge Flores, Gabriel Gomez, Joshua Ng and others discuss their objectives for recruitment week.

Correction: A previous version of this article misstated Ahmad Hamdeh was the president of Lambda Phi Epsilon. He is the internal vice president of Lambda Phi Epsilon.

Asian interest fraternity Lambda Phi Epsilon, progressive multicultural interest sorority Sigma Psi Zeta and progressive multicultural interest fraternity Phi Iota Alpha in the Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) are holding recruitment within the next coming weeks.

Interested students are invited to MGC week as the sororities and fraternities unite for three days for informational, nonbinding social events.

According to Vice President of MGC Joshua Ng, a junior from Overland Park, the significance of having MGC week and an organization’s own recruitment week is to have a bonding experience with each fraternity and sorority to see how well they mesh together. MGC week is not only an attempt to have students rush MGC, but to also show the unity and community of the relationship between the organizations. Ng was initiated into Lambda Phi Epsilon this past fall semester.

“The organizations have their own recruitment or rush week to get to know that specific organization and with MGC week is to get to know the MGC community as a whole,” Ng said.

President of MGC Gabriel Gomez, a sophomore from Overland Park, has been a member of Phi Iota Alpha since spring of 2018. Gomez said when compared to the Interfraternity Council (IFC), the MGC focuses more on diversity and culture.  

“KU’s diversity is not incredibly high. I mean it’s growing, but it’s not incredibly high right now,” Gomez said. “[The MGC] more focuses on our culture and sharing culture. We’re just trying to make a home for diversity on KU’s campus. I think what a lot of it is that we try to bring people who come to college who don’t see a lot of their culture and bring them together — giving them a home away from home essentially.”

Both Ng and Gomez grew up in a predominantly white demographic, being from Johnson County. The MGC drew both of them in as it was a place for people of color to come together and have community.

“For me, coming from Overland Park to here I really wanted to find a community of people like me to be with,” Ng said. “That’s why I think having a strong cultural interest in MGC was a huge factor for joining this community for me anyways. We’re trying to push that along for the future for people who are looking for that same opportunity to be in a group of people that have the same background and experiences.”

Phi Iota’s fifth year anniversary as a chapter at the University is coming this spring. Gomez said there is much to come to celebrate that.

For anyone interested in recruitment, Ng said that event attendance is the best way for them to get to know their uppers in the organization.

“Come to the events so we get to know you, get to know your face, get to know your story, know where you’re from,” Ng said. “More importantly, with those events you get to know the people and the [organization] as well. MGC is a pretty supportive safe space.”

Lambda internal vice president and junior Ahmad Hamdeh said interested recruitment members should keep an open mind throughout recruitment. Hamdeh also said the fraternity has more cultural events planned and more philanthropy for the national bone marrow drive. The fraternity also has a “Shave a Lambda” event coming up on campus this spring.

“Don’t be afraid to reach out and stay open minded,” Hamdeh said. “It is definitely something you have never experienced before and is completely different, but it is fun if you allow it to be.”