KU Med

Police respond to a homicide at the University of Kansas Hospital on Dec. 4.

On Tuesday, Kansas City Kansas police identified one of the men killed late Monday night at the University of Kansas Medical Center as Dominic Garcia, 28, of Kansas City, Kansas. 

In a news release, police explained that Garcia had driven himself and a female passenger to the University of Kansas hospital around 11:30 p.m. following a reported shooting at 7th and Osage, about three miles away from the hospital. 

"The driver exited the car at the entrance to the emergency department ramp and began running up Cambridge Street toward the hospital main entrance which was secured as normal for late night hours," the release said. "The suspect caught up with the driver at the entrance doors where he shot the driver again. The shooter then turned the gun on himself."

University of Kansas students and staff received an emergency text alert at 11:58 p.m., warning them of an active shooter situation on campus and to stay clear of the hospital. 

Both shooting victims and the suspect were taken into the emergency department for treatment. The shooter died, as did the male victim, early Tuesday morning. 

In a statement issued Tuesday morning, KU Student Senate President Noah Ries and Vice President Charles Jetty said they were saddened by the events.

"It is chilling to see firsthand that such acts of senseless violence can occur so close to home," the statement said in part. "This event is understandably unsettling for the Jayhawk community, and we share your feelings of sorrow and fear. As fellow students we will continue to advocate for student safety on all University of Kansas campuses." 

This incident remains under investigation by the Kansas City, Kansas Police Department’s Criminal Investigations Division, who is encouraging anyone with information to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (8477).

Those experiencing symptoms of emotional duress are encouraged by Ries and Jetty to reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services at 785-864-6414.