LYNN JENKINS

In this Sept. 21, 2016 file photo, Rep. Lynn Jenkins, R-Kan. speaks during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington. Jenkins says she will retire from Congress when her current term expires in two years. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, File)

Lynn Jenkins, the U.S. representative from Kansas’ 2nd District, which includes Lawrence, announced on Wednesday that she will not seek a sixth term in Congress.

Jenkins (R-Kansas) plans to retire and rejoin the private sector, she wrote in a Facebook post.

“You should know that I will not be running for any office in 2018,” she said. “In two years, at the conclusion of this Congress, I plan to retire and explore opportunities to return to the private sector, allowing a new citizen legislator to step up and serve Kansans.

National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Steve Stivers released a statement about her retirement.

Lynn Jenkins has represented the state of Kansas with distinction during her time in Congress,” he said. “Her expertise on tax policy while serving on the House Ways and Means Committee will be missed. I wish Lynn and her family all the best as she returns to private life.

Jenkins has served in the U.S. House of Representatives since 2009. Before the announcement, it had been speculated that she would make a run for Kansas governor in 2018.