kekistan sticker

A sticker depicting the fictional alt-right land of Kekistan appears to have been ripped off on the doors of Blake Hall. 

Multiple stickers depicting symbols of a fringe internet movement were found on campus Tuesday afternoon.

Stickers depicting the Kekistan flag — a meme that originated on 4chan, an anonymous website often linked to racist and white nationalist views — were placed near entrances to Blake, Bailey and Wescoe Halls.

Jill Hummels, communications manager for the Office of the Provost, said the administration is aware of the stickers and they are being removed by Facilities Services.

“They are in locations where they are not supposed to be,” Hummels said. “It’s less about content; more about that [the stickers] are defacing the property.”

Interim Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Carl Lejuez said the stickers were discovered last week and have been continuing to pop up around campus.

“This is a hard thing in that we can’t respond to everything that happens but it is important that we are proactive in being clear about what our values are and what’s important to us and showing that and sharing that in our actions,” Lejuez said.

Lejuez also said he understands that seeing these stickers “can be distressing.”

In addition, the Provost Office tweeted on Aug. 22, stating the University’s values.

“KU Values: The university is committed to excellence. It fosters a multicultural environment in which the dignity and rights of the individual are respected. Intellectual diversity, integrity, and disciplined inquiry in the search for knowledge are of paramount importance,” the tweet said.