A prominent landmark at the University is the Campanile and carillon. Constructed in 1950 and dedicated on May 27, 1951, the Campanile is a World War II memorial to remember the 277 men and women from the University who lost their lives fighting in the war.

The tradition of walking under the monument on the graduation day began the following year. The year it was created, the Kansas City Star called it "the finest musical instrument of its kind west of Chicago." Measuring 120-feet tall, the Campanile contains 53 bells in the carillon.

Despite all the positive history surrounding it, the Campanile comes with a very infamous myth as well. It's rumored that if you're a student attending the University and want to graduate in four years, you should steer clear of the Campanile.

The legend says that a person who walks beneath the Campanile before their graduation day ceremony is doomed to either not graduate on time, or not graduate from the University at all. Whether it’s a rebellious student or a new Jayhawk on campus, it seems safer to not step foot under the Campanile containing the ghost of unearned diplomas past and risk the curse.

On a lighter note, it's rumored that if a student kisses their significant other under the Campanile, they are destined to be married.

In regards to the campus monument, it seems that you can either secure a lip-lock with your future spouse or risk the curse of not earning your diploma on time. No matter the truth of the myths, this old piece of architecture seems to generate quite a buzz.

— Edited by Amber Vandegrift