Men's basketball vs. Oklahoma

Coach Bill Self laughs as senior guard Frank Mason gives his speech on Senior Night.

Kansas coach Bill Self has been selected for induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Hall announced on Saturday that Self, a first-ballot inductee, would be entering the prestigious group. Two-time NBA scoring champion Tracy McGrady, former UConn women's standout Rebecca Lobo, Notre Dame women's coach Muffet McGraw and Texas high school coach Robert Hughes join this year's ballot.

"I'm very honored and very humbled because I know there are so many people out there that this game has been their life to them or they have based their entire life promoting and having great success at the game," Self said in a Kansas Athletics news release. "I feel humbled that I was remotely considered in that group."

After graduating from Oklahoma State, Self began his assistant coaching career at Kansas under Larry Brown in 1985-1986. His assistant coaching career continued at his alma mater from 1987-1994. There he coached under Leonard Hamilton and Eddie Sutton. He had his first head coaching position at Oral Roberts from 1994-1997. He coached at Tulsa from 1996-2000 and Illinois from 2001-2003 before coming to Kansas in 2004. 

Self is the 20th person with ties to Kansas basketball to be selected for induction. Fellow Kansas coaches in the Hall of Fame are Brown, Phog Allen and Roy Williams. James Naismith — the Hall of Fame's namesake — was inducted for contribution to the sport, rather than coaching. 

"Bill has earned this honor," Kansas Athletics Director Sheahon Zenger said in the release, "with his passion, his ability to teach, develop and adapt, and his consistency of excellence at the highest level over a long period of time. He has indelibly made his mark as a wonderful steward of the great tradition of Kansas basketball."

The induction ceremony takes place in September at the Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.