Darreon Jackson

Darreon Jackson, a Boise State transfer who verbally committed to Kansas football this week, is no longer being recruited by the program.

A former Derby all-state safety is coming back to Kansas. 

Darreon Jackson began attending Boise State in 2015, but in May 2016, was given a year-long suspension from the school in regard to an alleged sexual assault that occurred the previous semester, according to the Idaho Statesman. After an appeal, Jackson's suspension was reduced to a semester. No criminal charges were filed against Jackson before he transferred to Coffeyville Community College where he played in the 2016-2017 season.

Jackson confirmed to Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant that he gave Kansas coaches David Beaty and Clint Bowen a verbal commitment on Saturday. 

Two other Boise State players, Marquis Hendrix and Donzale Roddie, were expelled from the university in connection with the same alleged sexual assault incident. Jackson was allegedly involved in one of the three incidents cited in the investigation, according to the Statesman.

In the incident, the victim, a woman who was in a consenting sexual relationship with Hendrix, was allegedly told that she "need[ed] to do a favor" for the football team. One of the players on the team allegedly told her that they needed her to "show [a recruit] a good time." Both Hendrix and Jackson allegedly met her in a residence hall stairwell on Oct. 2, 2015. Jackson allegedly smacked her behind and she was taken to a room where the recruit was. The victim said she felt trapped.

Jackson denied blocking the door and denied making physical contact with her. He also said, per the Statesman, that "nobody forced her to do anything," but that she had performed oral sex on multiple football players.

Jackson announced his commitment in a tweet on Monday, but hasn't yet signed a national letter of intent. 

“Coach Beaty and Coach Bowen were excited,” Jackson told JayhawkSlant. “I was excited myself. It felt good to go through the process one more time and have that experience all over again.”

Jim Marchiony, KU Athletics associate athletics director, told The Kansan in an email that the process in regard to Jackson isn't finished yet. 

"Just because a prospect announces his intention to attend KU doesn't mean he'll end up here," Marchiony wrote. "There's an extensive vetting process [Kansas Athletics] undergoes with transfer student-athletes, and in this case the prospect made his announcement before [Kansas Athletics] had an opportunity to finish that process."

Jackson told the Derby Informer that coaches said he will compete for a starting safety spot immediately following the departure of safety Fish Smithson. He'll join receiver and former-teammate Kenyon Tabor, a 6-foot-4 receiver from Derby who committed to Kansas in August, on the 2017 squad.

Per JayhawkSlant, Jackson has three years of eligibility remaining. 

Skylar Rolstad contributed to this report.