Gary Woodland Block Party 1

Former KU Golfer Gary Woodland takes the stage to a standing ovation at the Gary Woodland Block Party Tuesday, July 2.

Former Kansas golfer Gary Woodland will be competing this weekend in The Masters tournament at Augusta National Golf Club.

This will be Woodland's eighth career Masters appearance. He will be paired with 2015 Masters winner Jordan Spieth and Ian Poulter of England.

Woodland will look to build off posting the best score of his career at Augusta last season with a score of 3-under-par. Getting consistent scores under the 70-stroke mark at Augusta National is something Woodland has struggled with in the past, and something he’ll need to do to be successful in the new age of golf.

“I think the big deal with Augusta is you have to have all the shots,” Woodland recently told the Topeka Capital-Journal. “You have to be able to work the golf ball both ways.”

Augusta National is a very unforgiving golf course that requires extreme precision and consistency to be successful at. There are iconic holes that require a very specific shot to put the ball in a good position.

But Woodland said he is confident in his abilities to play consistent golf this weekend based on past experience.

“I can draw on knowing I can hit any shot under pressure,” Woodland said. “Obviously the chip shot on 17 at the U.S. Open, the 3-wood on No. 14 were the biggest swings I’ve made under pressure in my life. I was able to execute those. That gives me a ton of confidence going to Augusta.”

The last major Woodland competed in was the 2020 PGA Championship back in August, where he finished tied for 58th. It was a lackluster performance that did not shadow his most recent major victory in the 2019 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.

The win at Pebble Beach was his first major win, and Woodland has an opportunity to add to that trophy case this weekend.

“There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about winning The Masters,” Woodland said.

The Masters will take place at Augusta National Golf Club on Nov. 11-15.