Men's basketball vs. K-State (copy)2

Senior guard Frank Mason III smiles walking off the court in the final seconds against Kansas State on Feb. 6. Kansas won, 74-71.

Frank Mason III is going to need a bigger trophy case.

The Atlanta Tipoff Club awarded the Petersburg, Virginia, native with the James Naismith Trophy on Sunday. 

The award goes to the "most outstanding college basketball player" and is one of the most prestigious awards in college basketball.

Since Kansas' season concluded, Mason has won the AP Player of the Year award and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, in addition to earning consensus All-American status. 

Mason averaged 20.9 points, 5.2 assists and 4.2 rebounds during his senior season, and sits No. 6 all-time in Kansas program history in points.

"Dr. Naismith invented the game of basketball and we walk by his original rules every day in Allen Fieldhouse. He was Kansas' first coach so winning this award with his name on it and playing at Kansas brings this full circle," Mason said in a Kansas Athletics news release. "There is no way I could have won the Naismith Trophy without great coaches, like coach (Bill) Self, the rest of the staff and great teammates. We accomplished a lot this season and this would not have been won without my teammates and coaches."

Mason joins fellow Jayhawk Danny Manning as the only two Kansas players to win the award. Other greats to win the award are Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Tim Duncan. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was presented with the inaugural trophy back in 1969.