Vasiliki Karvouni pushes the racket away from her as she goes to hit the ball in front of her (copy)

Then-freshman Vasiliki Karvouni returns the ball against Tulsa Tuesday, Feb. 25.

Kansas tennis played in the 2020 Fall Series Championships this past weekend, with sophomore Vasiliki Karvouni leading the way with a second place finish in the Flight 3 bracket.

“This event was a great event and a great way to end our fall season,” Kansas coach Todd Chapman said in a Kansas Athletics news release.

The Jayhawks opened the tournament with six wins in singles play on Friday. 

A trio of Kansas juniors built some early momentum for the Jayhawks. Malkia Ngounoue defeated TCU’s Kaitlin Staines (4-6, 6-1, 10-3), Tiffany Lagarde beat Baylor’s Mel Krywoj (7-5, 0-6, 11-9), and Julia Deming beat Iowa State’s Ting-Pei Chang 6-1, 6-2.

Deming, Lagarde, and Karvouni also picked up wins in the quarterfinals. Junior Sonia Smagina and sophomore Carmen Roxana Manu dropped both of their respective singles matches on Friday. 

The Jayhawks went 0-4 in doubles play on Friday, but Kansas rebounded with three doubles wins on Saturday.

In the consolation bracket, Smagina and Manu defeated TCU’s Marie Norris and Addy Guevara (6-2), Ngounoue and Deming beat Olivia Mikkelson and Camryn Stepp (6-2), and Lagarde and Karvouni beat Oklahoma State duo Mary Streller and Lora Boggs (6-0). 

While Lagarde and Deming both dropped their quarterfinals matches in singles play, Karvouni salvaged things in the Flight 3 semifinals with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Iowa State’s Christin Hsieh. Ngounoue also picked up a win in the Flight 1 singles consolation bracket. 

On the final day, both Lagarde and Deming picked up third place finishes in the Flight 1 and Flight 2 brackets, respectively. Lagarde defeated Iowa State’s Maty Cancini (7-6 (5), 6-2), and Deming beat Oklahoma’s Ivana Corley (6-4, 2-6, 10-8).  

Karvouni grabbed a second place finish after falling to Baylor’s Kristina Sorokolet (6-4, 6-0) in the Flight 3 championship match.

“We definitely have positives to take away from our play, and also go into our short offseason with a clear idea of what we need to work on," Chapman said. "We will take a couple of days off and get back to work in preparation for our spring season.”