KU Relays

Then senior Marleena Eubanks and then sophomore Mariah Kuykendoll compete in the 400 meter dash at the Kansas Relays Saturday, April 20, 2019.

The Jayhawks traveled to Austin, Texas to open its 2021 outdoor track and field campaign at the Longhorn Invitational at Mike A. Myers Stadium on Saturday, according to a KU athletics press release.

Senior Mariah Kuykendoll made her debut of 2021 on Saturday in the women’s 400 meters. Kuykendoll ran a personal best 53.63 to win the event and become the No. 6 performer in KU outdoor history.

Senior Hussain Al Hizam started the field events off strong in the men’s pole vault with a clearance of 5.50 m (18-0.5 ft.), while senior Christian Champen made his debut by placing second with a vault of 5.35m (17-6.5 ft.).

Back on the track for the men's 400 meters, senior Isaiah Cole ran a 47.95 to place seventh overall, while junior Ethan Fogle came in ninth with a 48.68.

Senior Ivan Henry tied his personal best set from 2016, running a 21.02 in the men’s 200 meters, placing fourth overall.

The women’s and men’s 1,500 meters ended the Jayhawks track events. Senior Riley Cooney ran a 4:39.84 in the women’s race to place her eighth overall. Senior Dylan Hodgson ran a 3:53.10 in the men’s race to place him in eighth.

The NCAA Indoor Championships will take place March 11-13 in Fayetteville, Arkansas, while the outdoor season will continue March 19-20 with the Missouri Spring Opener in Columbia, Missouri.