Women's Basketball VS Iowa State

Sophomore guard McKenzie Calvert shoots a three pointer in February 2017. Calvert, now with Texas Tech, faced the Jayhawks on Wednesday for the first time since her transfer.

After an off-the-court incident involving redshirt-sophomore guard McKenzie Calvert, Kansas men’s basketball sophomore guard Lagerald Vick and freshman guard Josh Jackson loomed over the Kansas women’s basketball team’s disappointing season, Calvert announced on Twitter that she plans on transferring from the program.  

Calvert tweeted on May 10 that she has been granted permission from the program to contact other schools. Starting in December, she will have two years of eligibility left as a graduate transfer.

Paired with redshirt-junior guard Jessica Washington in the backcourt, Calvert averaged 10.2 points a game, which was second on the team behind Washington.

However, during the season Calvert was involved in an altercation with Jackson and Vick on Dec. 9 at the Yacht Club.

According to an affidavit released by the Douglas County District Court in March, the altercation between Calvert and Jackson began at a party inside the bar and restaurant at 540 Wisconsin St., when Calvert threw a drink on Vick.

Vick is the former boyfriend of Calvert. Later in the night, Jackson and Calvert allegedly got in an argument by her car, according to the affidavit.

Jackson was charged in February with a class B non-person misdemeanor for vandalism, amounting to less than $1,000 worth of damage.

The total of the damage was $3,150.45, but a press release from the Douglas County District Attorney’s office did not attribute all of it to Jackson. The release said another unidentified individual may have damaged other areas of the car.

Jackson entered a not guilty plea to a charge of misdemeanor vandalism on April 12 at his arraignment in Douglas County District Court.

Jackson and his lawyer Hatem Chahine planned to file for diversion on the charge. If they do not get it, his trial is scheduled to begin next Wednesday, May 24.

While Jackson was never suspended for the incident, Calvert was initially suspended for a game against Rhode Island on Dec. 11. However, according to the Lawrence Journal-World, she later received a phone call informing her that she would not be suspended for the game. Calvert still elected not to play because she was not allowed to practice or watch game film during the week.

According to the Lawrence Journal-World, Calvert said she felt she was treated unfairly by the University.

“I was kind of shocked that I got suspended and he didn’t get [one], but that’s coach [Bill] Self’s decision,” Calvert said on March 4.

Before the alleged vandalism, the women’s team had played eight games and Calvert was in her first season at Kansas after redshirting in the 2015-16 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Prior to arriving to the program, she played her freshman season at USC and was a top-20 player coming out of high school.

Calvert led Kansas in scoring in five of those games. After Dec. 9, she would not play in six of the remaining 21 games and her minutes steadily decreased.

“Once my minutes started decreasing, I kind of just lost love for the game a little bit,” Calvert said to the Kansas City Star on March 4.

The Jayhawks finished 8-22 overall and 2-16 in Big 12 play. It is unclear where Calvert will be transferring to at this time.