Les Miles Media Availability 8/26/20 (copy)

Kansas football coach Les Miles speaks to media on a Zoom call on Aug. 28.

Column

When Kansas football hired Les Miles as head coach back in November 2018, there was plenty of optimism surrounding the program. Now, after a 3-9 season in 2019, Miles will be bringing in his first full recruiting class.

Miles’ 2020 recruiting class was good for 56th best in the nation, according to 247Sports, and features all three-star athletes. With 27 enrollees from the class, there will be many freshmen looking to make an impact.

Here are three freshmen that will make the biggest difference this season. 

Lawrence Arnold

Standing at 6-foot-3-inch, Lawrence Arnold is a big target at wide receiver and is the highest rated prospect on the offensive end from the class of 2020. According to 247Sports, Arnold was the 110th best wide receiver in his class and 91st best recruit in the state of Texas. In his senior season at DeSoto High School in DeSoto, Texas, Arnold had an impressive year with 877 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns.

The Jayhawks are returning a solid receiving core led by seniors Andrew Parchment and Kwamie Lassiter II, who Arnold can learn a lot from. With the talent at wideout, Arnold’s touches will be limited. But still look for him to make key plays when given the opportunity.  

JaCobee Bryant

JaCobee Bryant, the 41st ranked cornerback out of Evergreen, Alabama, was the highest-rated recruit Miles was able to grab out of the 2020 class. In high school, Bryant was a multi-sport athlete, competing in basketball, baseball and track and field, in addition to football. He also led his high school to the Alabama Class 3A state championship in 2017, according to Kansas Athletics

During next season, Bryant may have a key role in the Kansas secondary. Standing at 6 feet, 170 pounds, Bryant is a menacing man-to-man cover corner, as he recorded eight interceptions — including five pick-sixes — during his senior season

Krishawn Brown 

The defensive side of the ball has been a huge problem for the Jayhawks in recent years. Last year, Kansas ranked last in the Big 12 with an average of 36.1 points scored against per game. Krishawn Brown, the 49th best outside linebacker in the country, among others, are looking to reverse this trend in the coming years. 

Brown, hailing from Booker T. Washington High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma, recorded 93 solo tackles and 14 sacks his senior season and led his team to the state semifinals. Brown will look to play some valuable snaps this year and will provide the defense with good speed from the outside linebacker position.