Men's basketball vs. TCU

Coach Bill Self yells at the ref and picks up a technical foul in the second half against TCU in the Big 12 Tournament. Kansas lost to TCU, 85-82, on March 9.

As expected, the Kansas Jayhawks earned the No. 1 seed in the Midwest Region of the NCAA Championship. Kansas did not walk away with the No. 1 overall seed, as the defending national champion Villanova Wildcats claimed that spot.

Kansas will play either North Carolina Central or UC Davis in the first round of the tournament. Those two teams are battling for the No. 16 seed in one of the First Four games held in Dayton, Ohio.

The NC Central Eagles boast a 25-8 record and won the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament on Saturday.

The UC Davis Mustangs earned their first trip to the NCAA Tournament this year with a 22-12 record. They won the Big West Tournament on Saturday.

NC Central and UC Davis will play on March 15 in Dayton, Ohio, at 5:40 CST and the winner will face off against Kansas in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Friday, March 17, with time to be decided.

If Kansas advances past the Eagles or Mustangs, it will square off against either the No. 8 seed Miami Hurricanes or the No. 9 seed Michigan State Spartans in the second round on March 19.

The rest of the first round matchups in the Midwest are as follows:

No. 5-seed Iowa State vs. No. 12-seed Nevada

No. 4-seed Purdue vs. No. 13-seed Vermont

No. 6-seed Creighton vs. No. 11-seed Rhode Island

No. 3-seed Oregon vs. No. 14-seed Iona

No. 7-seed Michigan vs. No. 10-seed Oklahoma State

No. 2-seed Louisville vs. No. 15-seed Jacksonville State