Track and Field Jayhawks Classic 2020.jpg

Sophomore pole vaulter Zach Bradford attempts to clear the bar during the Jayhawk Classic Friday, Jan. 24.

The Kansas men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the John McDonnell Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas last weekend and walked away with two top-10 KU performers and several lifetime bests.

Freshman Victoria Gorlova became the No. 4  performer in KU outdoor history in the women’s triple jump. Gorlova reached 13.01 meters (42-8.25 feet) on her final attempt to win the event.

Freshman Lona Latema became the No. 7 performer in KU outdoor history in the women’s 5,000 meters. Latema clocked a personal best 16:45.40 to place fifth in the competitive field. 

Gorlova returned Sunday in the women’s long jump, where she jumped 5.96 meters (19-6.75 feet) to place fourth overall.

In the men’s 110-meter hurdle prelims on Sunday, freshman Cameron Wilmington ran 14.45 to qualify for the finals with the eighth-fastest preliminary time. Wilmington improved his time by running a 14.24 in the event finals on Sunday, which placed him sixth overall.

In the women’s 4x400 meter relay, Honour Finley, Jedah Caldwell, Erin Sermons and Mariah Kuykendoll won the event with a 3:39.66, just behind their season best of 3:32.64 set at the Texas Relays earlier this season.

The Kansas men’s 4x400 meter relay team A finished the meet with a second-place finish in 3:12.76. 

The Jayhawks will return home to host the Rock Chalk Classic at Rock Chalk Park from April 30-May 1. The Jayhawks will honor 25 seniors on Senior Day, which takes place on Saturday. Admission to the Rock Chalk Classic is $10 for adults and $5 for children, according to Kansas Athletics.